Memo to Fred Hoiberg: FOUL!
1. KANSAS (14-1, 2-0. Last week: Defeated Iowa State, Texas Tech. This week: Monday vs. Baylor, Saturday at Texas): Better to lucky than good. Jayhawks didn’t play well in either of their games last week.
2. KANSAS STATE (13-2, 2-0. Last week: Defeated West Virginia. This week: Wednesday at TCU; Saturday vs. Oklahoma): Wildcats should be 4-0 going into a Jan. 22 home game against Kansas.
3. BAYLOR (11-4, 3-0. Last week: Defeated Texas Tech, TCU. This week: Monday at Kansas, Saturday vs. Hardin-Simmons): Bears have made the most of a cream-puff Big 12 schedule with wins against the Red Raiders, Horned Frogs and Myck Kabongo-less Texas.
4. OKLAHOMA (11-3, 2-0. Last week: Defeated Oklahoma State. This week: Wednesday vs. Texas Tech, Saturday at Kansas State): Saturday’s game a chance for Sooners to improve NCAA Tournament resume.
5. IOWA STATE (11-4, 1-1. Last week: Lost to Kansas, defeated Texas. This week: Wednesday vs. West Virginia, Saturday at TCU): Fred Hoiberg’s brain cramp at the end of regulation in Lawrence may be the worst coaching decision in college basketball this season.
6. OKLAHOMA STATE (11-4, 1-2. Last week: Defeated TCU, lost to Oklahoma. This week: Saturday vs. Texas Tech): Cowboys have been underwhelming, to say the least, so far.
7. WEST VIRGINIA (8-7, 1-2. Last week: Defeated Texas, lost to Kansas State. This week: Wednesday at Iowa State, Saturday at Purdue): Narrow losses at home have prevented the Mountaineers from starting 3-0.
8. TEXAS TECH (8-6, 1-2. Last week: Lost to Baylor, Kansas. This week: Wednesday at Oklahoma, Saturday at Oklahoma State): Arguably the most boring team to watch in college basketball.
9. TEXAS (8-8, 0-3. Last week: Lost to West Virginia, Iowa State. This week: Saturday vs. Kansas): Season has been a disaster for the Longhorns.
TCU (9-7, 0-3. Last week: Lost to Oklahoma State, Baylor. This week: Wednesday vs. Kansas State; Saturday vs. Iowa State): About as close to a bye as you can get.