Iowa State did the Big 12 a huge favor with Saturday’s win against Kansas. That loss brings the Jayhawks back to the pack and allows Missouri to retain the No. 1 spot in this week’s rankings despite a stunning loss at Oklahoma State.
1. MISSOURI (19-2, 6-2) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Oklahoma State, defeated Texas Tech | THIS WEEK: Monday at Texas, Saturday vs. Kansas
THE RUB: Yes, Missouri lost at Oklahoma State. The Tigers still own the best two road wins in the conference (Iowa State and Baylor). This week could make or break Missouri’s Big 12 title hopes.
2. KANSAS (17-4, 7-1) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Texas A&M, lost to Iowa State | THIS WEEK: Wednesday vs. Oklahoma, Saturday at Missouri
THE RUB: A win Saturday would have gone a long ways toward an eighth straight conference title. This Saturday’s game at Mizzou is a monster.
3. BAYLOR (19-2, 6-2) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Oklahoma, Texas | THIS WEEK: Wednesday at Texas A&M, Saturday at Oklahoma State
THE RUB: I’m not convinced this team has recovered from the Kansas and Missouri losses. The Bears have lost their swagger.
4. IOWA STATE (15-6, 5-3) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Texas, defeated Kansas | THIS WEEK: Tuesday vs. Kansas State, Saturday at Oklahoma
THE RUB: The Cyclones got the signature win they needed for their NCAA Tournament resume. The way K-State is fading, they’ve got a great shot at a top-four finish.
5. OKLAHOMA (13-7, 3-5) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Baylor, defeated Kansas State | THIS WEEK: Wednesday at Kansas, Saturday vs. Iowa State
THE RUB: I don’t expect the Sooners to finish in the top five, but sweeping K-State is worthy of a bump this week. Lon Kruger has done an outstanding job.
6. KANSAS STATE (15-5, 4-4) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Texas Tech, lost to Oklahoma | THIS WEEK: Tuesday at Iowa State, Saturday vs. Texas A&M
THE RUB: The Wildcats can’t drop many more home games and expect to get an NCAA bid.
7. TEXAS (13-8, 3-5) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Iowa State, lost to Baylor | THIS WEEK: Monday vs. Missouri, Saturday vs. Texas Tech
THE RUB: The young Longhorns continue to improve and will be a handful for Missouri on Monday in a game they need to win to get into the NCAA Tournament.
8. OKLAHOMA STATE (10-11, 3-5) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Missouri, lost to Texas A&M | THIS WEEK: Tuesday at Texas Tech, Saturday vs. Baylor
THE RUB: The Cowboys aren’t good, but their win against the Tigers might end up determining the league champion.
9. TEXAS A&M (12-8, 3-5) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Kansas, defeated Oklahoma State | THIS WEEK: Wednesday vs. Baylor, Saturday at Kansas State
THE RUB: The Aggies are playing better and could get back in the NCAA picture this week against the Bears and Wildcats.
10. TEXAS TECH (7-13, 0-8) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Kansas State, Missouri | THIS WEEK: Tuesday vs. Oklahoma State, Saturday at Texas
THE RUB: Tech played about as well as it could Saturday and still lost by double digits. Tuesday’s game migh be the Red Raiders only legitimate shot at winning a conference game.