Baylor holds serve, Kansas looks like the same-old Kansas and Iowa State surprises during the first week of conference play:
1. BAYLOR (15-0, 2-0) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Texas A&M, Texas Tech | THIS WEEK: Tuesday at Kansas State, Saturday vs. Oklahoma State
THE RUB: Tuesday’s game against the Wildcats figures to be a war. Can the Bears handle Kansas State’s WWE-style defense?
2. KANSAS (12-3, 2-0) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Kansas State, Oklahoma | THIS WEEK: Wednesday at Texas Tech, Saturday vs. Iowa State
THE RUB: The Jayhawks struggled at times during the nonconference, but based on the first two games of conference play, there’s no reason to believe they won’t contend for another Big 12 title.
3. IOWA STATE (12-3, 2-0) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Texas, Texas A&M | THIS WEEK: Wednesday vs. Missouri, Saturday at Kansas
THE RUB: Apparently the nonconference meant very little to the Cyclones, who demolished preseason favorite Texas A&M on the road. ISU has a huge week with games against Missouri and Kansas.
4. KANSAS STATE (12-2, 1-1) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Kansas, defeated Missouri | THIS WEEK: Tuesday vs. Baylor, Saturday at Oklahoma
THE RUB: The Wildcats can’t play much worse than they did at Kansas, or much better than they did at home against the Tigers.
5. MISSOURI (14-1, 1-1) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Oklahoma, lost to Kansas State | THIS WEEK: Wednesday at Iowa State, Saturday vs. Texas
THE RUB: Saturday’s meltdown in Manhattan revealed some glaring weaknesses, notably size and toughness. A win Wednesday wipes that loss out. A loss and you begin to wonder if the road woes that plagued this team last season are back.
6. TEXAS (11-4, 1-1) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Iowa State, defeated Oklahoma State | THIS WEEK: Wednesday vs. Texas A&M, Saturday at Missouri
THE RUB: A 2-0 week would put the Longhorns in the discussion for a Big 12 title.
7. OKLAHOMA STATE (8-7, 1-1) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Texas Tech, lost to Texas | THIS WEEK: Monday vs. Oklahoma, Saturday at Baylor
THE RUB: Conference wins figure to be hard to come by for this injury- and transfer-riddled team, though they should win Monday.
8. TEXAS A&M (9-5, 0-2) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Baylor, Iowa State | THIS WEEK: Wednesday at Texas, Saturday vs. Texas Tech
THE RUB: The preseason favorite lost by three touchdowns at home to a team picked to finish near the bottom of the Big 12, which proves preseason predictions mean virtually nothing.
9. OKLAHOMA (10-4, 0-2) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Missouri, Kansas | THIS WEEK: Monday at Oklahoma State, Saturday vs. Kansas State
THE RUB: The Sooners played one good half in their first week of conference play. They were outscored by 49 points in the other three halves.
10. TEXAS TECH (7-7, 0-2) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Oklahoma State, Baylor | THIS WEEK: Wednesday vs. Kansas, Saturday at Texas A&M
THE RUB: Give first-year coach Billy Gillispie credit for making a really bad team competitive in its first two conference games.