Missouri, Baylor and Kansas State continue to roll, Kansas suffers a rather sobering loss and Texas A&M continues to tumble. A look at the Week Two rankings with conference play a week away:
1. MISSOURI (12-0) | LAST WEEK: Defeated William and Mary, Illinois | THIS WEEK: Friday at ODU
THE RUB: Of concern is the Tigers’ relapse to the selfish offense of last season maddening for fans. But Frank Haith had to be happy with the way his team responded at crunch time against the rival Illini, avoiding what would have been a meltdown in the second half.
2. BAYLOR (12-0) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Paul Quinn, St. Mary’s, West Virginia | THIS WEEK: Tonight vs. Mississippi State
THE RUB: The Bears survived a push from West Virginia and get their toughest test of the season today against the 15th-ranked Bulldogs.
3. KANSAS STATE (10-1) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Southern Illinois, UTEP, Long Beach State | THIS WEEK: Saturday vs. Howard
THE RUB: Anyone else notice the Wildcats were much more impressive against the 49ers than the archrival Jayhawks were?
4. KANSAS (8-3) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Davidson, defeated USC | THIS WEEK: Thursday vs. Howard, Saturday vs. North Dakota
THE RUB: Really, Kansas? Davidson? Seriously? Did Stephon Curry come back for a senior season?
5. TEXAS (9-3) | LAST WEEK: Lost to North Carolina | THIS WEEK: Saturday vs. Rice
THE RUB: Maybe this is the year the Longhorns don’t fall apart at the end of the season … probably not.
6. OKLAHOMA (9-1) | LAST WEEK: Defeated South Carolina State | THIS WEEK: Thursday at Cincinnati, Saturday vs. Northwestern State
THE RUB: With several Cincy players still sidelined in the aftermath of the brawl against Xavier, we won’t learn much about the Sooners this week. We’ll know plenty in early January, as Oklahoma opens Big 12 play at Missouri, vs. Kansas, at Oklahoma State and vs. Kansas State … gulp.
7. IOWA STATE (9-3) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Lipscomb | THIS WEEK: Saturday vs. Mississippi Valley State
THE RUB: Two of the Cyclones’ first three conference games are at home against Texas and Missouri, which gives this team of misfits a chance to build momentum early.
8. TEXAS A&M (8-3) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Rice | THIS WEEK: Thursday vs. Arkansas Tech
THE RUB: The Aggies lost to Rice at home. That says plenty.
9. OKLAHOMA STATE (6-5) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Alabama | THIS WEEK: Tonight at SMU, Saturday vs. Virginia Tech
THE RUB: At the rate the Cowboys are losing point guards, Travis Ford may have to suit up.
10. TEXAS TECH (5-5) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Oral Roberts, defeated Cal-State Bakersfield | THIS WEEK: Friday at Southeastern Louisiana
THE RUB: The Red Raiders can always look forward to their bowl game … or not.