Without Laurence Bowers, most pegged Missouri as a bubble team. Nobody thought the Tigers would look as good as they have in the first two months of the season, but they’re two games away from entering Big 12 play undefeated. Because of the impressive start, Missouri opens the rankings on top:
1. MISSOURI 11-0 | LAST WEEK: Defeated Kennesaw State, William and Mary | NEXT: Vs. Illinois
THE RUB: Even without injured forward Laurence Bowers, the Tigers have been dominant all season, winning every game by double digits, including Notre Dame (29 points), California (39) and Villanova (10).
2. BAYLOR 9-0 | LAST WEEK: Defeated Bethune-Cookman, BYU | NEXT: Vs. Paul Quinn
THE RUB: Paul Quinn? I guess the Bears ran out of directional schools to play on one of the weakest schedules by a power conference team in college basketball.
3. KANSAS 7-2 | LAST WEEK: Did not play | NEXT: Vs. Davidson
THE RUB: The bad news … the Jayhawks may struggle without 14th-senior Tyshawn Taylor (they may not without his nine turnovers a game). The good news … they’re grammar just got a lot better. Point plankn.
4. KANSAS STATE 7-1 | LAST WEEK: Defeated North Florida, Alabama | NEXT: At Southern Illinois
THE RUB: The Wildcats’ slug-it-out, beat-the-crap-out-of-you defensive style can be tough to watch, but it’s also effective; they have two of the conference’s best wins (at Virginia Tech, vs. Alabama).
5. TEXAS 9-2 | LAST WEEK: Defeated Nicholls, Temple | NEXT: At North Carolina
THE RUB: The good: Seven straight wins. The bad: The Longhorns play at North Carolina this week. The ugly: Losses to Oregon State and North Carolina State.
6. TEXAS A&M 8-2 | LAST WEEK: Lost to Florida | NEXT: Vs. Rice
THE RUB: Much like the school’s football team, the Aggies, who many picked to challenge for a Big 12 title, are overrated. Saturday’s blowout loss at Florida was ugly.
7. OKLAHOMA 8-1 | LAST WEEK: Defeated Houston | NEXT: Vs. South Carolina State
THE RUB: The Sooners won all of 14 games last season. First-year coach Lon Kruger has already won eight games in his first six weeks.
8. IOWA STATE 8-3 | LAST WEEK: Defeated Central Michigan | NEXT: Vs. Lipscomb
THE RUB: The Cyclones are the Misfit Island of college basketball with a roster full of transfers. They don’t have a signature win and have lost both of their games against legitimate competition (Michigan, Northern Iowa).
9. OKLAHOMA STATE 6-4 | LAST WEEK: Lost to New Mexico | NEXT: at Alabama
THE RUB: The young Cowboys have struggled thus far, and it doesn’t get any easier with a road game against Alabama this week.
10. TEXAS TECH 5-4 | LAST WEEK: Defeated Grambling State | NEXT: At Oral Roberts
THE RUB: Expect Billy Gillispie to turn the Red Raiders around, but it won’t happen this season. This team is as bad as any LMFAO song.