Talk about eating your own. The Big 12 has a history of upsets derailing a team’s shot at a national title, and that happened again Friday night when Iowa State rallied from a 17-point deficit to upset No. 2 Oklahoma State. Oklahoma followed suit, losing to Baylor the following night. The rankings didn’t change much this week, despite a slew of surprises:
1. OKLAHOMA STATE (10-1, 7-1) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Iowa State 37-31 (2OT) | THIS WEEK: Bye
THE RUB: The Cowboys have lived on the edge often this season, winning several games in which their opponents imploded. That didn’t happen Friday night in Ames, where Iowa State limited its mistakes and ended Oklahoma State’s national title dreams.
2. OKLAHOMA (8-2, 5-2) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Baylor 45-38 | THIS WEEK: Vs. Iowa State
THE RUB: For all the talk about the Sooners missing All-American Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma’s biggest issue is defense. OU has allowed 86 points in its two losses. Anyone else notice that Big Game Bob has lost a lot of big games lately?
3. KANSAS STATE (9-2, 6-2) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Texas 17-13 | THIS WEEK: Bye
THE RUB: Another game, another close, gritty win. There’s something to be said for finding a way to win every time out.
4. BAYLOR (7-3, 4-3) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Oklahoma 45-38 | THIS WEEK: Vs. Texas Tech
THE RUB: Twenty-one times a charm for the Bears, who beat Oklahoma after 20 consecutive losses to the Sooners. Baylor has won three straight games by a combined 11 points.
5, MISSOURI (6-5, 4-4) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Texas Tech 31-27 | THIS WEEK: Vs. Kansas
THE RUB: For most of Saturday’s game, it looked like Gary Pinkel wasn’t the only one at Mizzou tipping the bottle. But the Tigers found a way to win and are bowl eligible for the seventh straight season. Not bad considering they went to two bowls from 1984 to 2002.
6. TEXAS A&M (6-5, 4-4) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Kansas 61-7 | THIS WEEK: Vs. Texas
THE RUB: Texas A&M led Kansas 61-0 at one point in the third quarter. Not even the Aggies could blow that lead.
7. TEXAS (6-5, 3-4) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Kansas State 17-13 | THIS WEEK: At Texas A&M
THE RUB: With back-to-back road games coming up against Texas A&M and Baylor, the Longhorns are looking at a four-game losing streak to close the regular season and a mediocre 6-6 record.
8. IOWA STATE (6-4, 3-4) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Oklahoma State 37-31 (2OT) | THIS WEEK: At Oklahoma
THE RUB: Does any coach get more out of less than Paul Rhoads? The Cyclones have won three straight and own wins against Iowa, UConn and Oklahoma State.
9. TEXAS TECH (5-6, 2-6) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Missouri 31-27 | THIS WEEK: At Baylor
THE RUB: The Red Raiders choked away a double-digit lead in the fourth quarter in Columbia and are looking at a five-game losing streak to close the season, plus no bowl bid.
10. KANSAS (2-9, 0-8) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Texas A&M 61-7 | THIS WEEK: Vs. Missouri
THE RUB: On the positive side, few things are more entertaining than listening to KU’s radio team during a loss, which means quality entertainment every Saturday for three months.