Oklahoma State rolls on, Kansas State continues to be the Cardiac Cats and Kansas continues to be historically bad:
1. OKLAHOMA STATE (10-0, 7-0) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Texas Tech 66-6 | THIS WEEK: At Iowa State
THE RUB: The Cowboys continue to put up video game-like numbers, embarrassing the Red Raiders. The last time Oklahoma State was 10-0 (1948), Brandon Weeden was 5 years old. OK, I made that up. OSU has never been 10-0.
2. OKLAHOMA (8-1, 5-1) | LAST WEEK: Bye | THIS WEEK: At Baylor
THE RUB: How in the world did this team lose to Texas Tech? The Sooners still control their own destiny in the Big 12 title chase … and can crush rival Oklahoma State’s dreams along the way in a few weeks.
3. KANSAS STATE (8-2, 5-2) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Texas A&M 53-50 (4OT) | THIS WEEK: At Texas
THE RUB: I said last night that the Wildcats are very good, but also very lucky. That was not received well. Of course, it doesn’t matter how they win … they win.
4. BAYLOR (6-3, 3-3) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Kansas 31-30 (OT) | THIS WEEK: Vs. Oklahoma
THE RUB: The Bears looked a lot like the Bears of 1996-2009 until the fourth quarter in what would have been a horrifying loss to a team that looks a lot like the Bears of 1996-2009.
5. MISSOURI (5-5, 3-4) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Texas 17-5 | THIS WEEK: Vs. Texas Tech
THE RUB: The good news: Extending a middle finger at the Evil (Overrated) Empire on your way out of the conference. The bad news: Will Henry Josey, who emerged as one of the top running backs in the country this year, recover from an ugly knee injury?
6. TEXAS (6-3, 3-3) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Missouri 17-5 | THIS WEEK: Vs. Kansas State
THE RUB: The Longhorns’ offense was already subpar, and now they’re down to their fourth-string running back. This week’s game against K-State will be critical come bowl season.
7. TEXAS A&M (5-5, 3-4) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Kansas State 53-50 (4OT) | THIS WEEK: Vs. Kansas
THE RUB: This team was ranked in the top 10 at the start of the season? The Aggies are not mentally tough, coughing up a double-digit lead in the fourth quarter in four losses. That starts with the coach, Mike Sherman, who won’t have that title much longer.
8. IOWA STATE (5-4, 2-4) | LAST WEEK: Bye | THIS WEEK: Vs. Oklahoma State
THE RUB: The Cyclones’ winning streak (two games) comes to an end this week against the Cowboys. ISU closes with three of the top 12 teams in the AP rankings. Looks like basketball season in Ames.
9. TEXAS TECH (5-5, 2-5) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Oklahoma State 66-6 | THIS WEEK: At Missouri
THE RUB: Maybe it’s time to lock Tommy Tuberville in a closet. The Red Raiders have lost their last three games by an average score of 53-11.
10. KANSAS (2-8, 0-7) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Baylor 31-30 (OT) | THIS WEEK: At Texas A&M
THE RUB: Somehow the Jayhawks managed to punish their fan base even more than they already had, blowing a 21-point lead in 12 minutes. To quote Homer Simpson, this is the suckiest bunch of sucks who’ve ever sucked.