Oklahoma can still win the Big 12, Missouri whips Kansas on its way out of the building and Texas A&M does its thing (choking) against Texas. The Longhorns and Aggies swap spots in this week’s rankings:
1. OKLAHOMA STATE (10-1, 7-1) | LAST WEEK: Bye | NEXT WEEK: Vs. Oklahoma
THE RUB: It’ll be interesting to see how Oklahoma State responds after the two-week layoff and dream-crushing loss to Iowa State. A loss could knock the Cowboys out of the BCS picture.
2. OKLAHOMA (9-2, 6-2) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Iowa State 26-6 | THIS WEEK: At Oklahoma State
THE RUB: Despite the losses to Tech and Baylor, the Sooners are where they always are: in the hunt for a Big 12 title and a bid to a BCS bowl.
3, KANSAS STATE (9-2, 6-2) | LAST WEEK: Bye | THIS WEEK: Vs. Iowa State
THE RUB: A 10-win season with this bunch should cement the legend that is Bill Snyder. It might even get the Wildcats a BCS bowl.
4. BAYLOR (8-3, 5-3) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Texas Tech 66-42 | THIS WEEK: Vs. Texas
THE RUB: The Bears have rebounded nicely from a midseason skid, winning four straight games. A win this week and in a bowl game gives Baylor its first 10-win season in 174 years.
5. MISSOURI (7-5, 5-4) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Kansas 24-10 | THIS WEEK: End of regular season
THE RUB: Saturday’s win epitomized Missouri’s season: a terrible first half, followed by a dominating second half. KU officials tweeted “we win” when Missouri announced it was heading to the SEC. Interesting, considering the Tigers now hold the all-time series lead by one or three games, depending on who’s counting.
6. TEXAS (7-4, 4-4) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Texas A&M 27-25 | THIS WEEK: At Baylor
THE RUB: Somehow, someway, the offensively challenged Longhorns sent the Aggies whimpering to their new conference.
7. TEXAS A&M (6-6, 4-5) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Texas 27-25 | THIS WEEK: End of regular season
THE RUB: If the Aggies were a closer, they’d be former Royal Ricky Botallico.
8. IOWA STATE (6-5, 3-5) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Oklahoma 26-6 | THIS WEEK: At Kansas State
THE RUB: The Cyclones cost Oklahoma State a shot at a national title. Now they could knock the Wildcats out of a BCS bid.
9. TEXAS TECH (5-7, 2-7) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Baylor 66-42 | THIS WEEK: End of season
THE RUB: How did this team beat Oklahoma? Tommy Tuberville’s meltdown against Baylor was great TV.
10. KANSAS (2-10, 0-9) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Missouri 24-10 | THIS WEEK: End of season
THE RUB: The Jayhawks had plenty of opportunities to build a sizable lead against their rival on Saturday and couldn’t even muster 100 yards of offense in the first half. This is a Football Championship Subdivision level program right now.