Oklahoma made its statement loud and clear, Oklahoma State continues to roll and the old man schools another more talented team in Manhattan. This week’s rankings are brought to you by the characters of the long-running NBC series “Cheers”:
1. OKLAHOMA (5-0, 2-0) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Texas 55-17 | THIS WEEK: At Kansas
Cheers character: Sam Malone ….
Sam owns “Cheers,” and Oklahoma owns the Big 12.
2. OKLAHOMA STATE (5-0, 2-0) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Kansas 70-28 | THIS WEEK: At Texas
Cheers character: Henri …
Henri briefly was Sam’s understudy, as Oklahoma State is Oklahoma’s, but ultimately, Sam schooled his protégé, much like the Sooners will the Cowboys later this season.
3. KANSAS STATE (5-0, 2-0) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Missouri 24-17 | THIS WEEK: At Texas Tech
Cheers character: Coach …
How Billy Snyder continues to win with average talent is amazing. He simply is the coach.
4. TEXAS (4-1, 1-1) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Oklahoma 55-17 | THIS WEEK: Vs. Oklahoma State
Cheers character: Frasier …
Frasier personified arrogance. At least he was likable.
5. TEXAS A&M (3-2, 1-1) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Texas Tech 45-40 | THIS WEEK: Vs. Baylor
Cheers character: Carla …
Like the bar’s weathered waitress, the Aggies have been a little edgy of late, bailing on the conference.
6. BAYLOR (4-1, 1-1) | LAST WEEK: Defeated Iowa State 49-26 | THIS WEEK: At Texas A
Cheers character: Rebecca …
The last few years have been better, but much like Ms. Howell, the Bears have been pitiful for the most part.
7. TEXAS TECH (4-1, 1-1) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Texas A&M 45-40 | THIS WEEK: Vs. Kansas State
Cheers character: Woody
Who else would you compare to this team after it ran a great coach out of town largely because of a wildly overrated TV analyst?
8. IOWA STATE (3-2, 0-2) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Baylor 49-26 | THIS WEEK: at Missouri
Cheers character: Norm
9. MISSOURI (2-3, 0-2) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Kansas State 24-17 | THIS WEEK: Vs. Iowa State
Cheers character: Cliff
Maybe a little unfair, but for right now, the Tigers look ridiculous thumping their chest over a flirtation with the SEC while underachieving to a sub-.500 record in the lesser Big 12.
10. KANSAS (2-3, 0-2) | LAST WEEK: Lost to Oklahoma State 70-28 | THIS WEEK: Vs. Oklahoma
Cheers character: Diane
Arrogance without reason.